<-- back to Free Quilt Patterns
Free Quilting Patterns
Homespun Hearts Pincushions
Supplies for two pincushions:
- Two coordinating 10" squares for outside of pincushion
- Two 3 ½" x 13 ½" strips for ties
- One 10" square of batting
- Poly fill & plastic pellets
Step One: Pincushion Front
- Choose the 10" square you want to be the top of the pincushions.
- Place it right side up on top of the 10" square of batting.
- Quilt as desired.
- Cut on the diagonal corner to corner to make two quilted triangles.
Step Two: Pincushion Back and Construction
- Cut the coordinating 10" square on the diagonal to make two triangles.
- Place one triangle on top of each quilted triangle, right sides together.
- Sew together with a ¼" seam allowance, leaving a 2" wide opening in the long edge.
- Turn right sides out.
- Stuff firm using poly fill against the quilted side and plastic pellets against the un-quilted side.
- Sew the 2" opening closed, and pull the two corners in towards the center to create a heart.
- Stitch these corners together, making sure that they overlap each other about 1".
Step Three: Ties
- Fold the 3 ½" x 13 ½" strips in half, right sides together.
- Sew the ends of these strips on a 45-degree angle and then straight down the sides, leaving a 2" opening on the middle.
- Turn the strips right sides out through the 2" opening and press.
- Stitch the opening closed.
Put each finished tie through the opening of each heart Pincushion and tie in a knot.